Backside of Hore Abbey PanoramicZoom

Backside of Hore Abbey Panoramic

Item# backside-of-hore-abbey-panoramic
$125.00
Hore Abbey was originally a Benedictine monastery, founded in 1266 just west of the town of Cashel.

In 1272, Archbishop David McCarvill banished the Benedictines from the monastery and the reason why is the stuff of legends- he dreamed they were plotting to murder him!

The Archbishop then invited Cistercians from Mellifont, in County Louth, to come and take over the abbey. Hore Abbey was the last Cistercian foundation in Ireland.

Hore Abbey was built out of limestone and consisted of a cruciform Gothic church, square cloister, living quarters, and a tower that was added in the 15th century.

Much of the church remains today, along with sections of the east side of the monastery and fragments of the cloister.
Scroll to top